Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A BIG Thank you


"Choose your friends wisely Mayur" is something my parents always told me.... and i honestly believe i've done that. I have suffered many a setbacks in life already....but nothing matters when i know that i have made friends who have stood by me like a rock...and have redefined the word 'selfless' so many times in the last 25 years of my life...

Be it during the rigors of studying for a CA exam....or after my CA exam debacle or during my breakups and heartbreaks...friends that have stood by me, have made my life so much more sweeter.....My favorite mutton Biryani sent by my close friend during my long hours of studies at home...or a friend making my study time table for me, so I could plan my studies better...or simply talking to me everyday...just for that two minutes of much needed entertainment and distraction while u spend 10 hours a day studying...that I believe is Friendship.


The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of friends in my life. Friends, to me, have become as important to me as my family has. They have become so important that education, money, failures, successes, what people in general think or say or do has in a way become irrelevant.

Each friend of mine, i believe, represents a world in me , a world possibly not born until they have arrived, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. Every friend is a new door to a different world....and what a difference my journey in this ' different world' has been....

I read somewhere that True friends are born when your life is filled with a crisis. I can second that. Every time i have had a rough moment in my life...I have made a new friend...Its like God's way of saying, perhaps, that these are your true friends....

Who do we consider our “friends”?

As i write this piece, i'm trying to figure out what to say about this topic. I know there are differences between friends and acquaintances, indeed, BUT I don’t think I have more than a few (a very small few) “friends” …

My mind seriously draws a blank when I try to make a list of friends. I have people I chat with on the phone, e-mail, go out to eat and have a drink with occasionally, but I’m not sure about the friendship thing. In my lifetime, I have come across many, and I mean MANY people I have “thought” were my friends, but time has revealed they never were.

I believe friends are those that I may not see often, but when I do, I immediately pick up where I left off. A friend is someone you can call when you have a problem, and you know they will listen and advise accordingly. Friendship is a way of life, in the sense of constantly coming together with others. It is a different kind of love that shows the progression of self-awareness and knowing the other better. Friends are eager and excited to know, and be known by each other. The best friendships are not locked into one’s own thoughts, but are enriched by the others knowledge, and "goodness".

At times we argue, but ultimately agree to disagree. We comfort each other when we hurt. We listen, and remain non-judgmental. A friend accepts your faults and will not try to change you. A friend encourages and support your ideas, gives constructive criticism and never tries to break your spirit or tear you down. A friend lifts you up....ALWAYS. A friend would not tear you down to others or kill your dreams. A friend is true, is someone who helps you see the truth, even if it hurts. This means being up front with friends about serious issues, raising questions with tact and love, never gossiping or putting them down to others behind their backs as a joke or to amuse themselves.

Real friendships don’t just happen, they are acquired through trust, and honor. They are meant to be nurtured and cultivated. Friendship is friendly, happy, loving, playful, relaxed, easy and never-ending. It is caring and sharing all that we are and all that we have to give. There is no demand, expectation or commitment on a friend.

My " Friends" know who they are...and i don't need to specify them individually... I thank you for being everything I have written and much more. You are so much more than just friends, you guys are truly special. , my mentor, my life coach. God has blessed me with you guys, and has kept you close to me for so many years for a reason. You will forever be a presence in my life…..

No comments:

Post a Comment